Burton Hall is a residence hall located on the west side of Carleton's campus. It has four stories, plus a basement. It is part of the Burton-Sevy-Davis complex and houses Burton Dining Hall in its basement.
Burton was built in 1915 as the first men's dormitory. It was designed by the Chicago firm of Patton, Holmes and Flinn. In 1938, the fourth floor was remodeled using a design by John S. Van Begen, a Chicago architect who served as Superintendent of Buildings. Burton is well known for its triples. At the end of each hallway there are two two-room triples, and interspersed throughout the rest of the building there are large "suites" (often with one big room for desks and living, and one small room for beds) that accommodate three people.
Nearly every Burton floor has been referred to as a notorious party floor. First Burton is especially well known for its wild parties on both Fridays and Saturdays.