Evans Hall was built as a women's dormitory in 1927 and named for Margaret Evans. It was designed by Patton, Holmes and Flinn a Chicago architectural firm that designed a number of Carleton buildings in the early 20th century.
The floor plan is designed around vertical columns of rooms rather than floors. There are numerous misconceptions about this layout, many of which revolve around the idea of minimizing gossip; the design, in fact, was inspired by a Harvard residence hall built at the time, and the columns were designed to reduce noise by minimizing the opportunities to socialize in the halls.
In November 2011, the college announced plans to renovate Evans. The project began in December 2011 in the unused kitchen area. Most work began in June 2012, after reunion weekend. Evans reopened at the beginning of winter term 2013.
The renovation will add "40 beds" to the campus' housing.
Additional off-campus programs were offered during fall term of 2012 to temporarily reduce housing demand.