This article is about the building named Farm House. For the Shared Interest Living Community sometimes known as "Farm House," see Sustainable Living House.
Farm house is one of the few off-campus houses that was originally built as student housing. Carleton built Farm House in the 1920s as a place for students whose work-study would be working the dairy farm purchased from the Frank Parr family in 1914. After the dairy herd was sold in 1964, the farmland was leased to neighboring farmers.
Farm House is the traditional home of Sustainable Living House (which has been in the house so long, the interest group is usually referred to as "Farm House" as well). The group failed to turn in their interest house application for the 1994-1995 school year, and CANOE House received Farm House that year. For many years before that, and every year since then, Sustainable Living House has lived in Farm House.
Farmstock, a folk music concert and picnic put on by Carleton students, staff and alumni each spring, is held on the lawn in front of Farm House.
Directions from Sayles-Hill
- From the steps of Sayles, head straight across the parking lot toward the Music Hall.
- Pass the Music Hall and go between Goodsell Observatory and Olin Hall, and continue down the hill toward Goodhue Hall.
- Bear left past Goodhue toward the Rec Center.
- Pass the Rec Center, cross the parking lot, and continue up the path with the water tower on your right.
- Farm House is the first house on the right (the other house being Parr House).