Goodhue Hall (sometimes referred to as The 'Hue or just 'Hue, pronounced "hyoo") is the only dorm on the northeast side of Lyman Lakes. It is almost as remote from the rest of campus as the Rec Center. It was first occupied in September 1962. During the first years of use, Goodhue was occupied by sophomore and junior men. (Freshmen men were housed in Musser and Davis. Most senior men lived in Severance. Because of its separation from most of the campus, it was not the most popular dorm. The first and second floors were often occupied by groups made up primarily of jocks, that resembled informal fraternaties -- see Vigilantes and 288.
Most of Goodhue consists of doubles, though each floor also includes a few single rooms. There are no private bathrooms in Goodhue student rooms. Arb-side doubles include a short hallway before the main room in order to make room for the bathrooms. Lake-side doubles are slightly larger.
There are three stairwells in Goodhue; student lounges are located above the north and south lake-side doors on the second-fourth floors and sport balconies. In times of higher than anticipated enrollment, some of these lounges have been converted into student rooms. Above the middle doors are student rooms which also include balconies; these rooms are called "balconies" or "balcony doubles" and are seen as more desirable than a standard double. Also, each floor includes a "Proctor" or "Proctor Double," a larger than average double located near the middle of the floor. The first floor Proctor is that floor's lounge. Carleton's website has floor plans, though room dimensions are not provided.
A long-standing myth on campus is that the building was originally designed without bathrooms, and that the plans had to be hastily amended to include them. This myth probably comes from the rather odd and small dimensions of the bathrooms and the way each one cuts a chunk out of two arb-side rooms. In truth, bathrooms were always part of the blueprints.
The building was named for Horace Goodhue, Jr. who was a professor of Greek at Carleton from 1870 to 1906 and became Dean of the College beginning in 1891. The building was designed by Minoru Yamasaki, the architect who also designed the fourth floor addition to Myers Hall, Olin, the West Gym, and Cowling. (Yamasaki also designed the World Trade Center in New York.)