Carleton College is a private liberal arts college located in Northfield, Minnesota. It has about 2,000 students and is consistently ranked in the top 10 U.S. News and World Report Best Liberal Arts Colleges. Named for benefactor William Carleton shortly after its founding in 1866, it has risen from the small congregational school that Thorstein Veblen attended to become what the Chicago Daily Tribune described in 1961 as a "little Harvard."
Did you know...
From CarlWiki's newest articles:
- Syzygybeat Tufts 15-13 in the Prequarters of Division 1 Women's Ultimate Championships. Then they lost 9-15 to Ohio State in the Quarters. Lucia Childs-Walker was named to the All-Tournament Starting Seven
- Dr. Carolyn H. Livingston was named vice president for student life and dean of students, replacing Hudlin Wagner, who is retiring in June.
- The Counterfactuals, an "indie-pop" group of Carleton (Daniel Groll and Jason Decker,philosophy and Andy Flory, music) and St. Olaf (Mike Fuerstein, philosophy) faculty have been chosen to play at the 2015 Minnesota Music Summit. The performance will be April 10 at the Amsterdam Bar and Hall in St. Paul.
- Emeriti faculty Diet Prowe (March 7), Wayne Carver (March 15), and Roger Kirchner '58 (March 31) died recently. In addition, Professor Qiguang Zhao died on March 13th.
- Maya Warren '07 and her UW-Madison grad school lab partner, Amy DeJong, won the million dollar first prize in CBS TV's Amazing Race Interview: Host Madison
- Barnes and Noble took over management of the Carleton Bookstore on October 20.
- Hudlin Wagner, has announced her retirement, effective in June 2015.
Coming up on campus
- Thursday-Friday, Sep 3-4, New Faculty Orientation
- Tuesday-Sunday, Sep 8-13, New Student Week
- Monday, Sep 14, Classes begin
- Monday, Sep 14, Opening Convocation: Senator Amy Klobuchar, 3:00pm, lawn west of Hulings Hall
- Friday, Sep 25, Convocation: Clifford Clark, professor of history, 10:50am, Skinner Memorial Chapel
- Friday, Oct 2, Convocation: Investigative journalist Anabel Hernández, 10:50am, Skinner Memorial Chapel
- Friday, Oct 9, Convocation: author Frances Moore Lappé, 10:50am, Skinner Memorial Chapel
- Saturday, Oct 10, Homecoming
- Friday, Oct 16, Convocation: Cancer researcher Todd Golub '85, 10:50am, Skinner Memorial Chapel
- Saturday, Oct 17, Football vs St. Olaf, St. Olaf stadium
- Monday, Oct 19, Mid-Term Break
- Thursday-Saturday, Oct 22-24, Board of Trustees Meeting
- Friday, Oct 23, Convocation: Haitian human rights attorney Mario Joseph, 10:50am, Skinner Memorial Chapel
- Friday, Oct 30, Convocation: Founder of The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness, Johanna Kandel, 10:50am, Skinner Memorial Chapel
- Monday, Nov 2, Registration for Winter Term begins
- Friday, Nov 6, Convocation: Native American Heritage Convocation, 10:50am, Skinner Memorial Chapel
- Wednesday, Nov 18, Fall Classes End
- Thursday-Friday, Nov 19-20, Reading Days
- Saturday-Monday, Nov 21-23, Exam Days
- Tuesday, Nov 24, Winter Break begins
- Saturday, Jan 2, Men's basketball vs. St. Olaf, 1:00pm, West Gym
- Monday, Jan 4, Winter Classes begin
Official events and academic calendar