Nourse Little Theater
Entrance to Nourse Little Theater.
is the black box theater located in the basement of Nourse Hall
. It is the site of most ETB
productions. It seats only 96 people, and it is frequently filled to capacity. In the summer of 1998, during the renovation of Nourse Hall, the theatre was partially renovated with a new light grid and larger storage space. However, the renovation also left pipes running through almost the entire backstage area, and two large pipes in the back wall of the stage itself.
At the end of a production, it is tradition for the people involved to paint a square on the wall or ceiling backstage with the name of their production, the date, and the cast and crew.
Nourse Little Theatre was converted from a women's gym into a theatre by the college in 1931. The change was made to accomodate the growing theatre community on campus, then performing shows on the third floor of Willis and at The Grand in Northfield. The first production staged was "Tobias and the Angel".
In 1948 the Nourse Little Theater was the site of the premiere of Bertolt Brecht's play The Caucasian Chalk Circle.