Severance Hall is a dormitory and administrative building in the center of campus.
It was built in 1928 at a cost of $330,000. Furnishings added another 20% to the cost of the building. It was designed by the Chicago firm of Patton, Holmes and Flinn.
The building was named for Cordenio Severance and Mary F. Severance, class of 1880. They bequeathed $100,000 to the college in 1925.
Severance included offices for the Dean of Men, a public dining hall known as the Tea Room, Great Hall, guest suites, private dining rooms and rooms for senior men. (Davis Hall was reserved for freshmen men, and Burton Hall was the residence for sophomore and junior men.) Most Severance rooms were well appointed and some originally rented at premium rates.
The Tea Room closed as a public dining room in the 1970s and is now considered to be part of Burton Dining Hall.