The Carletonian is Carleton's primary student newspaper. It is sometimes referred to as "the 'Tonian" for short. The Carletonian is one of the country's oldest student-run publications, with the first issue appearing in 1877. It is currently published on a weekly basis, and is distributed on Friday afternoons in various locations across Carleton's campus. Thanks to advertising and alumni subscriptions, The Carletonian is financially self-sufficient.
Every two weeks, The Carletonian includes an arts and culture supplement called The Carl.
The Carletonian has been self-financing and free to students in recent years, but this has not always been the case. At some points, students had to pay for each issue. In 1932, as the college's finances reeled from the Great Depression, the CSA recommended that a mandatory $1.25 per semester be paid by each student in order to keep The Carletonian afloat. An actual compulsory fee for publications was not implemented until 1934-1935; during the interval, The Carletonian was published sporadically due to financial difficulties.
During Winter and Spring of 1977, The Carletonian was published daily (five times a week), and was billed as a consolidation of The Carletonian, the NNB, and This Week at Carleton. It was called the Carleton Daily, and debuted on Tuesday, January 18, 1977. After two daily issues in Fall Term 1977, the paper reverted back to the weekly Carletonian.
"MLK Speaker Dude" Controversy
During Winter Term 2005, the editor of The Carletonian mistakenly left a placeholder headline reading "Convo features MLK speaker dude" as the title of a front-page article when it went to press. The editor sent an email to the Students-oncampus mailing list apologizing for the mistake and explaining what had happened. She stated in the next week's issue of The Carletonian, much of which was devoted to the controversy, that she had received hundreds of e-mails about the headline.
Fall Term 2006 Editorial Staff
- Editor-in-Chief - Patrick Reis
- Editor-in-Chief - Jake Zivin
- Business Manager - Alyssa Cohen
- Viewpoint Editor - Grayson Sobel
- Sports Editor - Kirke Elsass
- News Editor - Sam Benshoof
- News Editor - Daniella De Franco
- News Editor - Shalini Gurusinghe
- News Editor - Dashini Jeyathurai
- News Editor - Sabrina Peterson
- News Editor - Zoe Schwartz
- News Editor - Laura Shatzer
- Photo Editor - Mimi Rojanasakul
- Chief Copy Editor - David Barbella
- Archives of The Carletonian - Fully searchable issues from 1916 to 2005